Dictionary.com describes the word Confident as “Being sure of oneself, having no uncertainty about one’s own abilities; Bold”. I may seem confident now, but I wasn’t born this way. Confidence is not genetic,I’ve had to work hard over the years to build my confidence.
Bullies, self doubt, fear and life in general can deflate your confidence.How do I know this? Because I’ve personally experienced bullying, low self esteem and fear. I still have self doubts, because I’m human, but now I know I can beat them.
How does one gain self confidence? Is your self confidence in your control?
Yes, you have the power to build your self confidence. Yes, you can be in control of your self worth.
Below are some tips that will help you build your confidence, in no particular order.
- Dress Nicely. When you start to dress nicely you will start to feel good about yourself. There are days when my self confidence feels so low but the minute I put on a nice dress or shirt, my confidence goes from 5-500%. Find something in your closet that makes you feel good about yourself
- Stay away from Negativity. Try to avoid people who bring you down or make you feel bad about how you look ,or act. Negativity only decreases your confidence. Surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself. People, who uplift you and make you happy.I’m not saying that you should rely on your friends all the time to make you feel good but if they make you feel more bad than good, what’s the point?
- Stand Tall. I have the worst posture, so who am I to give this advice?. But I know this works because I do it a lot. When I remind myself to stand tall, with my shoulders pulled back I feel better about myself. In fact, I feel like the baddest bitch in the room.
- Create personal boundaries. Learn to say no. Teach others to respect your personal boundaries. Boundaries = more control over your life = higher self confidence.
- Care for Yourself. Make time to take care of yourself. Exercise, eat healthy, get enough rest. One thing I also like to do is masks. Putting on a mask helps me relax and helps my mental health tremendously. Find ways to take care of yourself. When you feel good about yourself, you will feel more confident.
- Fake it till you Make it. How does one become more confident? You fake it, till you make it. Yes I said it! And how do you do that? By practicing. Start by looking in the mirror every and telling yourself that you are beautiful, smart, intelligent and that you deserve the best things in life.
Am I the most confident person? No but I’m learning and confidence can be learnt.
Own you Confidence Baby Girl.