“Finding my purpose was so easy”, said no one ever. I mean, if it was so easy everyone would know what they wanted to do. Everyone would be happy. But, finding your purpose can be a struggle for most of us, sometimes, it takes years to figure out who you are and what you want to do with your life. Today, I want to give some advice on How to Find Your Purpose.
First, let’s define the word “Purpose”. According to Dictionary.com, purpose is defined as, “The reason for which something exists or is done‘. So some questions to ask yourself is, “What’s important to me?” and “What can I do with my time?”
Here are some tips to figure out what’s Important to you which will lead you to your purpose hopefully
- Find your passion – I truly believe that your passion leads you to your purpose. What were you interested in as a boy or girl? Was it music? Was it poetry? For me, creating has always been my passion since I was a little girl, you would always see me drawing clothes and creating stuff. My parents have always wanted me to go into other fields though, and I’ve tried, but they just aren’t for me. My other passions also include helping people, which I hope this blog does.
- You have to be able to make a sacrifice – So if you want to be a Doctor are you willing to stay up all night studying? Are you willing to sacrifice going out with your friends to draw that painting? Nothing in life comes easy, so if you want something you have to be willing to work overtime for it.
- What keeps you up at night? – I’m always on my phone, even late at night. You could say that I’m addicted to my phone. But I’ve found what’s behind being on my phone is my need for self improvement. I’m always reading blogs and watching videos on how to improve myself, strategizing etc. Always reading about stuff that will help me improve my skills. Reading books on my phone has helped me become a better writer, and Instagram has helped me learn to market myself. Look, 2 weeks ago I didn’t know how to edit videos for Youtube. Now with these tips I’m on my way to becoming my own boss. I’m also now taking a marketing class online to improve my skills.
- Get to doing Stuff – Yes, you’re passionate about Writing, or doing hair but what have you done? When’s the last time you wrote something? I mean, it’s good to have passions but it’s what you do with them that matters. Stop talking and start doing.
- You have to be willing to embarrass yourself and learn how to handle failure – Look, when I started this blog I had no clue on what I was doing. I asked some of my friends for feedback and some of them said, “Yo, this is bad” but that didn’t stop me. My first Youtube video was a disaster but I just laughed at myself and continued. Also when I started no one really read my blog, yes, I felt discouraged at first but that just propelled me to work even harder.
Some people are very fortunate to know what they want to do from the moment they can talk. For many others though, it’s a struggle. And sometimes parents don’t help because they want to force their dreams on their kids.
What did you want to be when you were a little boy or girl? What do you want your legacy to be when you leave this world?
Purpose =What’s Important to You
Don’t live your life living someone else’s purpose. Live your Own.
Finding your purpose is simply finding something that defines you, something that fulfills you, something that you would stay up all night for.
But Purpose requires action. So that Book that you’ve been thinking about writing? Start writing! Even if it’s in your journal. Want to become the next Justin Bieber? Start making Youtube covers.Work on your craft everyday. And look, if you’re worried that your passion won’t gain you any money, everything can be monetized in this age of social media.
The point is, start somewhere. The only thing we have really, is time.
Hopefully these tips will help someone, I don’t have it all figured out but I’m learning and sharing as I go.
What did you think of this post? Comment below.
Follow me on